Lobbying for Wild Animals
Export of young elephants to Zoos
Namibia flouts elephant export laws: Namibia’s environmental authorities confirm that they have issued the necessary CITES (Convention for International Trade in Endangered Species) export permit for the sale of five wild elephant calves by Eden Game Farm in the Grootfontein district to a zoo in Dubai.
CITES COP 17 Submission
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH: How South Africa’s policies are killing Africa’s wild animals (A document prepared for CITES COP 17, PDF, 2.53MB)
Lion Bone Trade
South Africa suggests new export quota for captive-bred lion skeletons, putting wild lions at risk and supporting the canned lion industry. The Department of Environmental Affairs is proposing an annual commercial export quota of 800 skeletons from captive-bred lions. The EMS Charitable Foundation and the Captured in Africa Foundation, with the backing of international animal protection organisations representing millions of people around the world, are calling on the Department to think again and to adopt a precautionary approach, instituting a zero export quota, given fears that exports could put the lives of wild lions across the continent at increased risk.
Rhino Horn Trade
EMS Foundation & BAT objections to draft regulations on rhino horn trade: The proposed regulations have come as a shock to the local and international community and the adoption of these regulations will not only turn South Africa into a pariah State but it will lose any credibility in the conservation and enforcement arena.
Other submission to government
- Species Survival Network (SSN) – Potential exports of live elephants from Zimbabwe to captive facilities
- Humane Society – Trophy Hunting – FACA Comments
- NGO Letter to FC Barcelona – Appeal to Urge Rakuten Inc. to Cease All Elephant Ivory Product Sales
- AfA letter to Ministry of Forestry, Indonesia – Ragunan Zoo
- The African Lion Conservation Community’s Response to the South African Predator Association’s Letter
- Joint Letter to Eden Wildlife
- EU CITES MA Letter – Importation into the EU of hunting trophies from Annex B species